Typography


I finally decided to put my scripts to use MyriadPro with LaTeX online. While preparing this, fixed some more issues with Myriad and found some with Minion. Also I wanted to use the swash letters of CronosPro with Myriad. So I modified the script to include the support for all three fonts in one repository:

FontPro at GitHub

I think for a lot of purposes this gives reasonable results. My modifications so far:

  • support of MyriadPro: math and text; tuned accent positions of italic roman letters and of italic and upright greek letters; use swash letters of CronosPro as mathcal; loadable with eg MinionPro
  • text only support of CronosPro
  • fixed typo in MinionPro.dtx connected with microtype; take kerning
    information of accents and swash letters into account
    (maybe a change in the LCDF typetools made the last point necessary)

Obviously, there is still work to do. One of the major points is the ability to use the scripts with lcdf typetools > 2.69. Unfortunately, I was not able to identify the cause why the adjust-oml gives an error for the accent positions for the letters eg rho1, beta1, etc for me. It is strange that on some systems there is no problem at all; I was not able to find the difference between these systems…

The major points connected with MyriadPro is the adaptation of MnSymbol for MyriadPro. So far, I did not have the time to look at it. In addition, I did not succeed to tune the accent position of upright roman letters in math mode. The UP* information in adjust-oml.mtx seems to be connected to mathnormal… On the other hand, kerning pairs including the german double ss which is meant as the skew character in the setup (and which works with the swash letters of MinionPro) did not have any effect, either…

Furthermore, the swash letters of CronosPro are slightly to small for MyriadPro, so an option to scale the CronosPro (or all fonts that are based on these scripts) would be an nice feature. So far, I was not able to fully understand the font definition part in the MinionPro.dtx.

Everyone is invited to try the scripts. Anyone with an idea to solve the mentioned problems is also.

Advertisements

Zapfino by Herman Zapf is nice font. This is what I think and I hope I will think some years in the future. The problem is that everyone starts to use it for every purpose. In the last time, I’ve seen it on too many advertisements and product descriptions. Maybe we could blame Apple. They ship Zapfino with OS X… Anyway, I hope Zapfino will not be hated like Times (it’s ok on obituaries, not for every document. Yes, it’s you, M$ Word user!).

Update: I posted the scripts online. More information here.

As I need a sans serif font for my diploma thesis which offers math symbols and features like old-style numbers, I decided I need support for MyriadPro, the only sans serif font I own which fulfills my requirements. There already is a package, which AFAIK only supports the very basic fonts regular, bold, italic, bold italic and no math. However, there is a very feature-rich MinionPro support package for LaTeX so I tried to change its sources to work with MyriadPro. Here the result: testmath.tex using MyriadPro. It looks quite nice for a fast hack IMHO. In addition to change the converting scripts, I adjusted all functions in the .sty file so the MinionPro package can be loaded together with MyriadPro.

But there are still a lot of changes needed to have a really complete package. The math symbols of MnSymbol and the integral signs have to be adjusted, the .sty file has to be reduced and maybe some fonts added, … So it is still some work and these are things I mostly don’t know anything of and — this is probably more important — so far I have everything I really need. Additionally, a thesis does not write itself so my time is limited. It is ready when it is ready. If you do not want to redo the work I’ve done so far, just write a comment and I maybe send you the source files. ;)